Saturday, March 27, 2010

come on people!

So today I was supposed to have a party up in greeley (for those of you who don't know I've recently started selling Mary Kay)The girl whose party this is has canceled or rescheduled on me so many times I'm getting to the point were I'm thinking it's time to say no more. I had a party with her sister earlier this week, and while the party seemed to go well, it actually totally sucked. It started out with her buying 7 eyeshadows from me, to her buying 3, to her canceling her order all together. I understand financial troubles, so it's not so much that she canceled that bugged me, it's that she first asked me to order about $20 worth of samples for her to try, and then didn't order anything from me. I'm hoping the party with her sister goes better, but I'm not really holding my breath. I don't know if people don't realize (or if they just don't care) that I actually have to buy those samples, but I think I need to figure out some way to avoid this problem in the future.... Some of you have experience in direct sales- any ideas?

1 comment:

Susie said...

Not so much a suggestion, but certainly sympathy. I had a lot of the same kind of problems when I sold tupperware. Some of it depends on your client list. I sold in the Provo area, and I had to be careful not to depend too much on students for parties because although they were certainly willing to do the work of a party they couldn't afford the product and neither could any of their guests. You can go totally broke working your tail off to do good parties and providing the hostess incentives, catalogues, etc., and get almost nothing in sales.

I guess what I'm saying is to try to get clients that are out of that particular circle.

Love you.