Last night while I was helping Cindy do her math homework this problem came up.... for any of you who have ever helped me with my math homework you know I'm unbelievably bad at word problems.... and this one did me in....
Jon has 50 lbs of nuts worth $2/lb. He wants to mix them with some amount of nuts (x) worth $6/lb to create a new mix of nuts worth $5/lb. Solve for x.
How the heck do you set up that problem?? I already know the answer from the back of the book, and it makes sense... and I understand why that would be the answer... but I don't actually know how to solve for it...
by the way dad- I did actually solve a good amount of these problems without calling you last night... this one just did me in...
7 comments:
50 lb * $2/lb + X lb * $6/lb = (50+X)lb * $5/lb
100 + 6X = 250 + 5X
X = 150
QED
Glad you got here first. That's the formula I worked out, but I didn't want to check it to see if I got it right. It's late.
Check it? I eyeballed the answer, but I didn't check it.
150 is correct... also- that's how I was setting it up to do it and HaWon told me I didn't know what I was talking about and pretty much told me to back off... she was making it much more complicated... jerk...
And you said you had problems with word problems. You don't give yourself enough credit.
I say Jon should just eyeball it and charge what he wants to charge. Either the market will bear it or not.
amen to that! Doesn't he want to jack up the prices anyways so that he's actually making money off of it all? stupid jon... all he'll do is break even!
Post a Comment